Global Tablet Market Will Soar to U.S.$46 Billion by 2014
Yankee Group data reveals tablets sold will grow from 21 million in 2010 to 168 million in 2014.
2011 International CES, Las Vegas Jan 5, 2011 - The tablet PC has hit its stride. Yankee Group released its first-ever global tablet forecast, predicting total global revenue from tablet devices like Apple's iPad and Samsung's Galaxy Tab will increase from $16 billion in 2010 to a whopping $46 billion in 2014.
"The growth in this market is unprecedented," said Dmitriy Molchanov, Yankee Group analyst and author of the forecast. "The tablet sales curve is rising faster than that of HDTVs, handheld gaming consoles or even MP3 players."
Yankee Group will release a companion report this week, "2011 US Tablet Forecast: A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats," predicting that in 2015, the U.S. tablet market alone will generate more than $7 billion in revenue.
Key global and U.S. findings include:
- In 2010, North America leads the way. The region accounts for 37 percent of total global tablet revenue.
- By 2014, Asia-Pacific is the front-runner. The region, primarily China, will own more than half the global market (58 percent), while North America's share will drop to just 17 percent.
- Annual U.S. tablet sales will more than triple between 2010 and 2015. Tablet sales will grow at a CAGR of 31 percent, from roughly 8 million units in 2010 to 30 million units by 2015.
- The average tablet price tag in the U.S. will drop to just $237 by 2015. Reference models, open source OSs and economies of scale in touch-screen manufacturing will help cut the average selling price in half over the next few years.
Attendees of CES may download a free snapshot of the global tablet forecast at http://web.yankeegroup.com/2011TabletForecastSnapshot-Registration.html.
About Yankee Group
Yankee Group is the preeminent research and advisory firm equipping enterprises to profit in a mobile world. The core of our content is proprietary research and analytics on the attitudes, behaviors and usage patterns of mobile users. Based on this research, we provide a range of actionable data, insights and advices to marketing, strategy and product executives driving the mobility revolution in leading companies worldwide.
- Ashlee Clevenger, Yankee Group communications, +1–617–598–7268, firstname.lastname@example.org